Initially a part of the William Nicoll Grant of 1697, the hamlet and CDP of Bayport did not begin to see significant population growth until 1791, when parcels of land within the area were sold off by the State in order to pay off debts. It was known as Middle Road Village in honor of its main street built in 1834, then as Southport for its location on the island and strip of coastal land. When the post office came to town in 1858 the hamlet was forced to change its name yet again, as there was already a Southport in upstate New York. In the late nineteenth century, wealthy individuals began constructing summer estates along Bayport’s beaches. The hamlet has also been home to Camp Edey, a camp for Girl Scouts, for many years, and served as the hometown of fictional mystery-solving brothers, The Hardy Boys. Today, Bayport is served by its own fire department and a school district conjoined with Blue Point.